As the nights draw in, the journey home from school is slightly different to a couple of months ago.
As our summer dresses, skipping ropes and ice creams are forgotten. We don our leaf crunching, wellie boots, sew gloves into our coats and bobble along in our woolly hats. Whether you travel in the car or take the walking bus, we have some safety tips that you shouldn’t ignore.
Walking home from school
- Watch out for wet leaves, they are fun to play in but can be really slippy too!
- Keep an eye out for Black Ice and wear shoes with good grip
- When crossing the road, make extra checks for cars without lights on
- Wear layers – you can always take them off if you’re too hot, but you can’t always find extra
Winter driving home from school
- Keep a few essentials in your car, you never know when you may need them. These include; torch, ice scraper, warm clothes and blankets, first aid kit, snacks.
- It doesn’t have to be snowy to need winter tyres, these give better grip in conditions under 7 degrees.
- Check your tyre tread depth – the minimum legal limit is 1.6mm.
- Keep your fuel tank at a minimum of ¼ tank, you never know when a traffic jam may occur.
- Stopping distances can be much longer in the snow and ice, so make sure to keep your distance.
Find out more about winter driving...https://www.hiqonline.co.uk/help-and-advice/winter...
To promote #HiQGetHomeSafe, nominate a class (up to 35 children) in a Local Infant School by commenting on this blog for a chance to win the following;
1x Pack Per Child
- Hi Vis Vest
- Wrist slap
- Drawstring Bag
- Water Bottle Bag
- Winter Driving Colouring Sheet
1x Parent Pack Per Child
- Trolley Token
- Tread Depth Gauge
- Bag for your locking wheel nut
- Travel Mug
- Ice scraper for those cold winter mornings
- Winter driving information pack
PLUS £1000 in Amazon vouchers for the winning school
AND a colouring competition within the winning class to win a limited edition HiQ Winston Toy
Please Note: Only one class can win and entries close on 3rd December 2018. For T&Cs see: https://www.facebook.com/pg/HiQTyresUk/notes/