With this year's Easter break expected to be one of the busiest on the roads in recent years, HiQ fast-fit network is urging drivers to help keep their Easter fuel bill down by checking their tyres.
With the Easter weekend falling late this year, latest figures from the AA and traffic specialist Trafficmaster indicate many of us will be taking to the roads for the getaway from Friday afternoon, with up to 16 million cars on the road according to AA predictions.
"For many of us getting away this Easter one of the biggest costs will be filling up the fuel tank" says Farrell Dolan, Retail Director. "What lots of motorists don't realise is that tyres influence about 20% of your fuel bill."
Farrell gives his/her top 5 tips to be sure the state of your tyres isn't needlessly hitting you in the pocket this Easter.
1. Check your tyre pressures. Under inflation can cause rapid and uneven tread wear. You'll find an easy to use table in your vehicle's manufacturer handbook or on your fuel cap.
2. Check your tyres every two weeks and don't forget the spare. Look for signs of wear, cuts in the tread or sidewall, bulges in the sidewall, stones and foreign objects in the tread grooves.
3. If your front tyres show signs of uneven wear, have the steering alignment checked.
4. If you feel vibration, wheel wobble or discover tyre wear, we recommend you have your front wheels balanced.
5. Avoid overloading, not only is this illegal but it can put excessive strain on your tyres resulting in greater than normal deflection and overheating. This can lead to more rapid wear and greater susceptibility to impact damage and premature failure. So only pack the essentials if you're off on an Easter trip!
Dolan continues: "Too often in the rush to get away tyres are forgotten. But drivers have to remember that those black round things are the only things between the car and the road. By making sure you invest in high quality tyres suited to your car and driving conditions and carrying out regular checks, not only will you better manage your fuel bill but you will also improve the safety of your journey."